Friday, June 27, 2008

Last night at the Trevi

Last night was my last visit to the Trevi Fountain, as hard as it was to believe. Walking up to the fountain for the last time on this trip I could not take my eyes off of it. What if this was the last time that I would see it in my life? There are no guarentees, so I did not want to miss a second of it that could have been spent admiring its beauty. As usual, the surrounding steps were packed like sardines with dozens of people. This time however, I noticed that the majority of visitors were now more so tourists than locals. Since it is now late in June, I assumed this would be the case. What was even more suprising was when we got to talking to three different groups of what appeared to be college students. We asked what they were doing in Rome and they responded that they go to school in Florida and just arrived today for a six week program. This struck me being as it was my last night. It was probably their first time viewing the famous Trevi Fountain, and I could take myself back to that feeling of not knowing what to expect and all of a sudden see a beautiful blue fountain with large Neptune at the top of it. It is a feeling that I will never forget and knowing that these students were going through what I had already been made me appreciate what I have gone through and can have enjoyment in knowing others will get to experience just the same.

No comments: