Friday, June 27, 2008

Back in America..Culture shock.

Arriving in America was overwhelming. Everything felt different, even as if America had become foreign to me. Driving through the Philadelphia suburb where I reside I could not help but watch the way our culture differs just when walking around the streets. First of all, with my windows down, I smelled the scent of fresh cut grass, something I had not smelled in a good seven weeks. I noticed several runners with out their shirts on, also something I never saw in Italy. There were not cobble stone roads, much easier on my legs, but confusing to my familiarity with them. The street signs read, "Speed Limit, 25." It was in English, also something I had not seen for awhile. People dressed in summer attire, shorts and tank tops with sandles on their feet. Looking around there were no beautiful sculptures on the street corner and definitley no piazza's with a Trevi Fountain. I did notice an eroded statue which was beginning to turn green by the local University, and let me tell you, it did not even come close to comparing to the ones I looked at in Rome. Being back in America, I still find myself examining these same themes which I did in Rome and it has forever changed me.

No comments: