Monday, June 16, 2008

Bocca della Verita

Although not exactly a statue, the "Mouth of Truth" has grown to be structured and treated in such a way. Located just over the bridge from Trastevere at Piazza Santa Maria in Cosmedin, the Mouth of Truth is located in the atrium of St. Mary's in Cosmedin church. The grim marble mask adhered to the wall, actually an ancient drain cover found half-buried in the middle ages, holdes an urban legend. This urban legend states that if anyone puts their hand in the mouth and then does not tell the truth, the mouth will slam shut and prevent them from withdrawing. I had passed this famous mask several times before actually realizing what it was before taking a look for myself. The line to see this statue-like-figure is always out the door and along the street. People gathered around the form to perform the urban legend. The man's face on the wall was extremely intimidating and life-like with the sturn expression geared as if it were right toward me. I felt as if he were alive and warning me that I must obey him, even if I did not know the urban legend before hand. The power he with holds perpetrates through the air around you, and as I performed the repetitive motions of putting my hand within his mouth I even felt myself tremble a bit even though it was a stone figure.

No comments: