Monday, June 16, 2008

A changed meaning

Going to visit the Trevi Fountain on several occasions now, I can definitley say that how I feel about the space as well as how I have used it over the past several weeks has changed. Looking back at pictures from my first visit, as well as notes I have written in my journal I believe that in this space I have grown from a "tourist" to a "local," at least as I see it. When first entering the Piazza Fontana area I myself would always stand in front of the water throwing coins behind my shoulder, as well and sit and observe others doing the same, and that was all it really meant to me. It was a place I had seen in books and movies my entire life and even after several visits I could not get that idea out of my mind. Slowly but surely I came to find myself using the space as if I were a local. Often I find myself sitting on the Trevi Fountain's steps to relax on a break from class and talk on the phone or reflect on my day and write in my journal. Other days I will sit and socialize with friends as we eat gillato. Some days we even pass by on our way to another location without glancing twice at the fountain because at this point we have grown so accustomed to it. What I used to think was strange to me to see locals doing in the area, i find myself acting in the same manner. Observing the Trevi has came to help me understand how people use these type of spaces as a part of their everyday life.

No comments: