Monday, June 16, 2008

Italian's reactions to Tom Hanks

Friday night standing at Piazza Navona I was in my complete glory. We got to the set where Tom Hanks would be shooting Angels and Deamons early so that we could get a good spot to stand and watch the movie come to life. As the film crew was setting up I looked around to notice the abundance of American viewers surrounding the gates of the set. I wondered why there was not as much security as I thought for such a top of the line actor, but quickly realized it was because of the society and culture where the movie was being shot. While standing fascinated by every light, camera, crew member, actor, and action I was constantly being tapped on the shoulder. Every time I turned around to respond it was an Italian asking me what actor was on set and which film was being shot. Often I received a response with just a nod and a quick gander over the action, and shortly they would leave. Often I saw Italians simply walk by the set as if unaffected, granted I am sure movies are being filmed often in Rome. I came to the conclusion that maybe in Rome they are not as "Hollywood Obsessed" as we are in America. I am sure they know American actors such as Tom Hanks, but they do not study his every move in the way that we do. This is probably why security measures did not seem as high as if we were in the United States. Obviously, us American's could hardly breathe as we saw Tom Hanks forcefully walking toward the camera, finding satisfaction in knowing someone so famous was standing right in front of us. It seems that the Italian culture is not as near interested in this as we are, but this is just what I drew from my observations.

No comments: