Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Plane Ride

On a recent plane ride from Rome to Barcelona the interactions of adult Italians completely took me back. Getting on the plane was a process in itself with people pushing and shoving to make sure they got their luggage stored in the appropriate over head. When seated we noticed both Italian men and women staring and snickering, and I even checked my shirt and face to make sure I did not have something on it that I missed. Men and women were standing up in their seats like little children when the plane was in flight, hollering at each other in words I could not explain. We wondered why they did not sit next to one another on board, but I guess this was more exciting. Several people walked down the aisles of the plane, stopping to talk to everyone they knew along the way, as if they were gathering in a local piazza. When the plane came in for a landing the passengers began to put their arms up in the arm and scream "woo," as if we were on a roller coaster ride. This was proceeded by the continuous clicking of metal seat belts to signify it was almost time to release them. Getting off the plane I was completely exhausted from the process of flying during this flight, but it just made me realize even more how much these Italians culture is defined. They are such socially active human beings, and whether they are enjoying a glass of wine by the spanish steps, on the metro, or on a plane there is always a sense of friendliness towards one another and a "family" like way of doing things.

No comments: