Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A dinner to remember

Eating dinner at a local outdoor restaurant in Trastevere, I experienced the authenticity of an Italian dinner experience I always had pictured in my mind. By authenticity, I mean not only the food but the surrounding atmosphere. Sitting at a table in a small piazza area, I felt the sun setting as it peered through the umbrella I was sitting under. The streets surrounding began to fill as a waiter lit the lanterns next to me. Sipping on my white wine my eyes wandered to the families sitting joyfully eating dinner, as the smell of fresh tomatoes and mozerella passed by my table. Then came the part of dinner you see in the movies. The sound of violins, achordians, and authentic italian voices filled the air. The voices soon there after trickled over to behind my table as the Italian men serenaded me with their own rendition of what I believe were popular tunes. This was so authentic to what I believed Italian culture of dining at a restaurant would be like and is something I will always remember. The appreciation for such music and entertainment by the culture has become their way of life.

No comments: